About Southern Recovery AdvocacyLearn about our mission, our history and our extraordinary team!
Our Vision, Our Name
Southern Recovery Advocacy (SRA) is dedicated to the advocacy, education, and recovery of individuals and communities that suffer from substance use disorder.
The name of the organization shall be Southern Advocacy Recovery (SRA). It shall be a nonprofit organization incorporated under the laws of the State of Mississippi.
Mission & Purpose
Southern Advocacy Recovery is operated exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, as specified in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, or the corresponding provision of any future federal tax code.
Southern Advocacy Recovery aims to aid individuals with substance abuse disorder regain normalcy in their daily life.
- The purposes and goals of SRA include, but are not limited to:
- Provide resources to individuals with substance abuse disorder gain employment and enroll in educational programs;
- Provide peer support services for recovery;
- Raise awareness and educate the local community about substance abuse disorders;
- Reduce stigma surrounding individuals with substance abuse disorder;
- Educate, and provide access resources for individuals, communities, and organizations associated with substance abuse disorder;
- Provide resources to individuals with substance abuse disorder in navigating the medical, legal, law enforcement, and religious communities;
- Supply recovery resources to individuals at risk in the community due to substance abuse disorder.
- Supply recovery resources and peer support services to currently incarcerated individuals
“I created Southern Recovery Advocacy to empower communities, families and individuals affected by substance use disorder. Our organization educates and supports people across the state of Mississippi and the south.”
– Joshua Horton
Who We Are
Our Team & Leadership
Joshua Shane Horton founded Southern Recovery Advocacy (SRA) in 2016 in Oxford Mississippi. Substance Use Disorder (SUD) related overdose has just surpassed car accidents for the leading cause of accidental death in the United States. SRA aims to combat this epidemic through advocacy and our pillars of the Recovery Community Organization (RCO) model. SRA has a team of highly qualified individuals with Recovery experience paving the way for future leaders to help alleviate the destruction and despair that has become all too common in this country as the result of poor policy and misunderstandings about the disease of addiction.
Joshua Shane Horton